How to Write a Process Analysis Essay
The role of a process analysis essay is to highlight the process of performing a task, how something is achieved or how an event occurred. It is a direction on how a function happens, how to make it, or how something works. In the case you are issuing precise instructions regarding an individual process, it is referred as a directional process analysis essay. A narrative is when the essay is stipulating events as of how they occurred in a sequential manner.
How to start a process analysis essay
A process analysis essay commences with preparing an outline. It is a significant and imperative aspect of the piece. It involves stating each step of the process briefly in chronological order. The details can be provided later in the essay. It starts with an analysis of the process as well as a thesis statement that stipulates the objectives of the process. The steps in the process are brought forward in their order of occurrence. The topic sentences and supporting sentences in the body paragraphs will be developed based on these steps. In case an individual phase is complicated and requires detailed explanation, then an entire section may be set aside from the step. Simple steps that are easier to understand may be discussed in a single section.
How to write a thesis
The thesis statement highlights the objectives of the process analysis paper for the audience, bringing into perspective the general purpose as well as indicating the type of piece you are writing. The thesis for this kind of essay needs to highlight the process you will describe, for instance, the process of volcanic eruption and how a volcanic mountain erupts. It is prudent to indicate a reason that will capture the attention of your audience.
Content – an effective thesis for a process analysis points out specific ideas that will be expounded on in the piece, providing a preview of the set of concepts in the order which they will appear in the discussion. It is in some instances referred to like the essay map since it provides a list applying terms that link to the body paragraph details.
Language – the thesis for this type of essay should be phrased as a statement as opposed to a question since it specifies the role of the paper. The thesis should be made emphatic by eliminating announcement phrases such as “this piece will discuss,” as well as judgment phrases including “in my opinion.” It is essential for you to ensure that the language establishes the purpose for your illustration to set it apart from a general fact.
Structure – the most suitable thesis in our case is a single sentence strategically positioned at the end of the introduction. A succinct statement sheds light on the aim of the process in a more efficient manner compared to some rambling statements. Placing your thesis statement at the end of the introduction makes it easier for your target audience to locate it thus making your point in a clear approach. The thesis ought to be a complete statement to focus the article.
How to write body paragraphs
- The first step is to list requirements for the process. Prepare a numbered list of tools, things, ingredients, as well as other requirements to complete the process. Indicate alternatives that may be available.
- The next step is to define any technical terms that will be used in the paper. If the piece highlights specialized information such as the process of construction, you are required to define the various terms that will be discussed in the instructions. Pictures or symbols may be helpful in clarifying these terms.
- The third step is highlighting warnings and cautions involved in the process. It is particularly prudent to define challenges or procedures that may be encountered by your audience while conducting the process. This instruction is issued in the active voice, and the reader should be addressed directly.
- The final aspect is to issue the instructions. The outline should be used to provide instructions in a defined order. The audience is addressed in the second person in this case. The active and direct voice should be utilized, and the words should be easy to comprehend.
The most significant aspect of the process should kick start the instruction. The statements and paragraphs should be as brief as possible. For instance, apply the glue proportionately in the piece of paper. Avoid coming into contact with glue since it can be hard to remove.
How to write a conclusion for a process analysis essay
In conclusion, a process analysis essay is a direction on how a task happens, how to achieve it, or how something works. The essay should be concluded using an illustration of what is expected at the end of the process. Specify the measures of success.
For instance “the pudding should have thickened and had a brownish layer of cream on its surface.”
Each process is unique and as such, the nature of the process, as well as the number of steps will determine the volume of the analysis essay. However, the structure of the work is fixed.
Outline sample for a process analysis essay on a random topic: How to Bake a Cake
The cook ought to know the ingredients required to bake a cake, the process of blending, and the duration necessary for the cake to be baked.
- A cup of butter (3/4)
- A cup of cocoa (3/4)
- Cup of flour (3/4)
- Teaspoon of salt (1/4)
- Baking powder (1/2 teaspoon)
- Sugar (1 cup)
- Eggs (3)
- Vanilla (1 teaspoon)
- Buttermilk (half cup)
- Blend the mentioned ingredients till they become thick and smooth.
- Add a cup of sugar, cocoa powder, flour, and vanilla.
- The mixer should be on until the parts become a homogeneous mixture, brown in color.
- The homogeneous mixture is now ready to go into the oven.
- The cake should be fully baked and ready to be served in 45 minutes.
- Serve the cake with cream and hot chocolate.
You should ensure that the oven is hot and its store should not be opened until the cake has been baked.
Review of the process analysis essay should include re-reading the paper to ensure that the procedures are arranged in a chronological order and concise. Crosscheck the flow of steps to ensure you have not skipped or repeated a process. Include appropriate transitions and sum up the advantages or the results of the process