Descriptive essay about a place
Descriptive essay focus on specific details about an object, a place or an event. It presents an object to the reader using vivid language for the reader to have a mental picture of what the writer is describing. When composing a detailed essay about a particular place, the paper needs to present clear descriptions about the location to the reader. Writing an essay about a familiar place gives the writer an opportunity to present his personal experience and feelings the place invokes in him.
How to start a descriptive essay
Before presenting the beautiful scenery, the author needs to be observant of the surroundings because the essay would require detailed explanations and the vibrant experiences about the place. The author needs to identify all the important items that make the place worth describing. A good essay should be based on personal experience whereby the author can easily reflect about his experience.
The first step of developing an essay is to start with a brief introduction, a descriptive introduction would determine whether the reader would want to continue reading the article or not. The author needs to use words that would attract the reader’s attention at the beginning of the essay. An introduction should start with a strong statement, and in the end, the writer needs to present the thesis statement by relating it to what is being described. The thesis statement reveals why the place is important to the author.
A good introduction can start with an anecdote, the author can narrate an interesting story to heighten the reader’s curiosity. A good anecdote sets a good tone for the essay and acts as a transition sentence from the introduction to the body of the essay. An introductory paragraph needs to mention the name, the exact address, and other exciting things that makes to reader wants to visit the location.
How to write main part
The essay body should express feelings, the taste, the smell, the sights and sounds of the place. The author describes the different aspects of the location for the reader to develop a mental picture of how the place looks like. For instance, when describing your grandmother’s home, the body essay describes how beautiful the place looks like, including the lovely trees, her tasty cookies, the most soil around the nearby river, the dishes clicking in the kitchen and how you feel the about the particles of the wood on the staircase. The author can also talk about the people living nearby and any unique features around the home .
Apart from detailed descriptions, the author needs to reflect about the place and make important connections to it. For instance, the essay needs to highlight why the place is a safe haven from everyday stress. The author can also present some of the feeling associated with the location, this will make the readers aware why the place is important to the author.
How to conclude a descriptive essay
The concluding paragraph should rephrase the inspiration of the essay providing detail and personal feelings and also make recommendations for the readers. A good conclusion should describe why the place is significant. Even though the descriptive language used can provoke the reader’s emotion, the audience wants to know why the author spent a lot of time describing the place. Apart from just highlighting the good experience about the place, a good conclusion explains the significance of the essay theme. The conclusion simply confirms to the audience what was already presented, but using selected sensory language for the readers to believe that the place is amazing. A good paper should end on a strong note, leaving the audience feeling satisfied in the concluding paragraph. A good descriptive essay should create excitement for its readers.
- Hook sentence with detailed descriptions that grabs the reader’s attention
- Brief background about the place
- Sensory descriptions of the place.
- Topic sentence that supports the thesis statement
- Describe the place by the name and the exact location
- Description about the feelings the place invokes
- Provide additional sensory descriptions about the place, including the surrounding areas.
- Opening sentence justifying why the place is significant
- The facts that support the descriptions using attractive descriptions.
- Explain intensely about the place
- Describe the important details for the readers
- Present emotional background
- Present the author’s emotional response based on the place being described.
- Expand the feelings described in the above paragraphs
- Provide additional emotional details using a decisive factor statement
- Restate the feeling of the location.
- Restate the main thesis ideas described in the paragraphs
- Repeat to the reader why this particular location is important
- Review the major things that the author vividly recalls
- The feeling and the difference the location makes in the author’s life.