Narrative essay is a story written about some significant personal experience. When the audience read the narrative essay it may seem that it is a story. Narrative essay really has some common features with the story. The only difference between them is the point that is made in the narrative. There are different types of the narrative essays:
Each of these types allows the writer to express himself in a creative and moving ways.
Essential Narrative Essay Prompts
Below you can find some essential prompts for creating effective essay:
- Depending on the essay topic, it can be written as a story or as a typical narrative essay. If the task is to write a book review, the paper will be written according to the typical essay pattern. If the task requires information about your experience and inner feelings story pattern would fit better.
- Essay of the story pattern should contain all the parts that the story does. It should have introduction, plot, well-described characters, setting, climax and conclusion.
- Good essay should be written with the purpose. The goal of the narrative essay is to make a point. If there is no point for narration, why should you narrate it in the first place?
- Clear point of view is important. In most case, narrative essays are written from the author’s standpoint. However it is not the only perspective that should be considered. Creativity in narratives can be manifested as authorial perspective.
- The language of the paper should be concise, clear and transparent. Narrative essay is efficient when the language chosen carefully and particularly. Specific language can be used to evoke some desirable emotions and senses in the reader’s perception.
- Speak from the first person narrator. Pronoun “I” is highly welcomed, but not necessary.
- Be organized while writing. Clear introduction will set the tone for the remained part of the essay. Present the purpose of your essay so that the reader didn’t have to guess it by himself. You are the only one in control of the narrative essay. You can guide it where you want. Just be sure that the audience will be able to follow the lead.
In the process of essay writing, keep in mind:
- make a point;
- involve the readers into the story and interact with them;
- follow the sequence;
- include a lot of details and observations;
- present the change of the situation or build up a tension;
- tell from author’s point of view;
- be focused on important events, facts, people or places.
If to speak about the content of the narrative, every essay should begin with the general statement. “Learning a different language can be a scary experience”. The statement should introduce the main subject of the essay. In our example, it is the author’s learning experience. The use of “I” shows that the writer describes in the paper personal experience.
Did you Know we can Write your Essay for You?
As narrative essay is obligatory a story about the event that took place in the author’s life, the writer should give sufficient details about the events, people and places. It will give the reader an idea about author’s feelings and emotions.
The final paragraph of the essay should reflect on the importance of the described experience. What benefits the author has got after that event or what lesson has he learnt? Answer this question in the concluding paragraph. Repeat the point of the story one more time.
Use lively and interesting language for writing your paper. Personal observations and additional details can help the writer to engage audience attention. It will be beneficial if the writer shares his personal thoughts. It invites the readers to the author’s inner world and makes the story more exciting and interesting.
If you have troubles choosing the topic of your narrative essay, study the topic prompts presented below.
- Describe an event when you were unprepared.
- Describe a light-bulb moment. A moment when you suddenly got some wonderful idea or understood something that you couldn’t before.
- Describe your childhood event. Try to present the change through the years of you as the main essay hero. Show the way your believes, values and views have changed over time.
- Describe the moment when your goal was achieved.
- Describe your life during teenage years vividly.
- Describe an event when you clearly saw the difference between good and bad.