When you work on your first research paper in apa style you can study research paper APA example to be sure that your paper is written in proper form. APA style is often chosen for scientific works and research papers, as it contains clear rules that would assure success of your work.
The abbreviation APA was created from the first letters of the American Psychological Association that created this style and publishes manuals nowadays.
APA Style Formatting
Speaking about APA formatting rules, first, it is necessary to say that all papers in this style use one inch margins on every side of the page. One of the characteristics, which is used throughout the paper, is double-spacing.
In Research paper APA style it is forbidden to have any extra spaces. To provide this enter the setups and press “Remove Space Before/After Paragraph”. The most preferred typeface is Times New Roman with 12 point font. You will see these peculiar features in every research paper APA style example.
Did you Know we can Write your Essay for You?
Page Header and Numbers
- APA style requires a page header, also called a running head, at the upper left corner of every page.
- A page header is a short name of your paper.
- It is all written in capital letters.
- The page header on the title page is different from all the other headers.
- It is proceeded by the phrase “Running head”.
- The name of the paper goes after colon, like in the example: Running head: PAGE HEADER.
- Running heads are used to simplify the identification of your work, as during the review and editing process some pages of the manuscript can be separated.
All titles should be spaced equally between the right and left margins. They should be center justified. Every word, except common words, is in upper case text. It is forbidden for the title to be italicized or bold.
Author’s By-Line, Institutional Affiliations and Author Note
- One of APA style requirements says that all the authors and the institutional affiliations should be identified on the title page.
- Like all the other information, it should be center justified.
- According to the APA requirements, it is only needed to mention the name of the university or college, without including the information about the department of the educational establishment.
- The order of authorship mentioning should be determined by authors themselves.
Author note is a note that appears several inches below the title information. In the author note you should identify the name of your department, provide your contact information, such as email address, and phone number.
Hard Page Breaks between Sections
As papers in APA style consist of several sections, such as cover page, abstract page, full text of the paper, reference pages and tables or graphs, it is important to insert a hard break between every of these sections. It preserves formatting on all the pages above, allowing making any changes in the formatting of text and pages below it.
Abstract page formatting
Abstract is a compact summary of what your paper consists of and what information it includes. It should be paragraph length between 150-250 words. Some professors may not require an abstract, so before starting work on your research paper you should better ask you professor whether you need to write an abstract or not. Abstract always goes on the 2nd page of the paper in APA style. There should be no citation in research paper APA style abstract.
References Page Formatting
First of all, there should be a page break between the reference page and the body of the paper. At the top of the page there should be typed and center justified the word “References”. All references should be typed in alphabetical order. For this, the writer should use the last name of the first author of every article or monograph. If there are several articles by the same person they should be ordered by the year with the most recent article or monograph first.