Those who prefer traditional footnotes instead of in-text citations choose Chicago style for their research works and essays. It is widely used for the natural, physical and social sciences, as it recommends the author-date system for in-text citations, what makes this style similar to APA and MLA formats of writing.
Chicago Essay Format Example
Essay in Chicago format has some specific rules of formatting and it is important to follow them. Study Chicago essay format example to know how to avoid the most common mistakes.
- Use margins between 1 and 1 ½ inch from all sides.
- Use double-spacing without extra blank lines between paragraphs.
- Indent each paragraph half-inch to the left. You can also use five spaces in case of using a typewriter.
- Block quotations should be indented one inch to the left.
- Footnotes, endnotes, and listed in alphabetical order should be single-spaced with one extra line space between each source and note.
- Use Times New Roman or Platino font, unless other is directed by your professor.
- The font size should not be less than 10, preferably 12 pt.
- The font size in the footnotes should be of the same type as in the body of the paper.
Chicago essay format title usually is between 7 and 15 words long. You should create a meaningful title that would fit the body of the paper. Avoid clichéd titles as Essay 1 or Essay about Thomas Edison. The title should give a clear idea of what the paper is about. Title of Chicago essay format sample can be such as “Beginning of Thomas Alva Edison career”. In order to create a bit of elegance in the essay there exist a common academic device of using title and subtitle, separated with a colon. The title should be placed on one line and followed by a colon. Then on the following line goes the subtitle.
Page numeration and spaces between the sentences
- Page numbers are placed in the header half-inch from the top of the paper, flush with the margin on the right side.
- Use Arabic numbers and avoid preceding them with the word “page” on every page.
- In some cases your teacher may require using some specific identifiers, for example your surname before the page number.
- Title page isn’t numbered. Page 1 begins on the first page of the text.
- As computer typing use proportional fonts it is advised to use one space between sentences.
Title page requirements
If your Chicago essay is longer than five pages it needs a separate title page.
- The title should be horizontally centered about a third way down from the top of the page.
- If the title is bigger than one line just break it at natural point.
- The subtitle goes next line after the title.
- Both lines of title and subtitle should be single spaced.
- The title should be typed in capital letters.
- Don’t use period at the end of the title.
Did you Know we can Write your Essay for You?
The Body of the Essay
The main body of the essay goes straight after the title page and begins on the next page without any special headings. The body should be double-spaced throughout the text, except block quotes, which require single spacing according to Chicago essay citation rules. Indent the paragraphs with the help of tab key.
Chicago essay format heading
If you study example of Chicago essay style, you’ll know that headings usage is optional in this format of writing. They are not to be used in essays or papers less than five pages. If you decide to apply headings they would be of the following format:
- Level 1: Centered, bold or italicized, heading-style capitalization.
- Level 2: Centered, regular, heading-style capitalization.
- Level 3: Flush left, bold or italicized, heading-style capitalization.
- Level 4: Flush left, sentence-style capitalization, roman type.
- Every footnote is placed at the bottom of the page where citation is needed.
- After the period or other appropriate punctuation mark goes super-scripted number in which the source was referred.
- Notes are consecutively numbered starting with number 1.
- The numbers in the footnote are normal, but superscription is used in the body of the text.
- Indent half-inch (five spaces) to the first line of the note.
- Single space your notes and insert a blank line between them.