American Psychological Association (APA) style is most commonly used to cite sources of the social sciences. Your APA essay should be typed, double-spaced on standard-sized paper (8.5″ x 11″) with 1″ margins on all sides. You should use a clear font that is highly readable. In most cases APA recommends to use 12 pt. Times New Roman font.
You should include a page header (also known as the “running head”) at the top of every page. To create a page header/running head, insert page numbers flush right. Then type “TITLE OF YOUR PAPER” in the header flush left using all capital letters. The running head is a shortened version of your paper’s title and cannot exceed 50 characters including spacing and punctuation.
If you take a look at the example of a APA research paper, you will see that the paper consists of the following sections: title page, abstract, introduction, method, results, discussion, and references. It can also include several tables and/or figures. While studying an example of a APA research paper, you can take notes of the most important peculiar features of this style of essay.
Key features you can find studying the example of a APA research paper
- The manuscript page headers should be placed one-half inch from the top.
- There should be 5 spaces between the page header and the number of the page.
- In the center of the page you should place full title, author’s name and educational establishment name.
- All the information mentioned above should be typed in uppercase and lowercase.
Did you Know we can Write your Essay for You?
The abstract is written with the purpose of summarizing the problem, participants, hypotheses, methods used during the research and present the results and conclusions of the work. The title in the abstract should be centered one inch from the top. Also you should apply double-space throughout.
The introduction states the topic of the research and the main questions that should be explores in the work. You should supply Background information by discussing past researches on the topic and their results.
- Provide the background before getting to your own studies.
- Extensive referencing will establish support for the further discussion.
- You as a researcher should explain in what way your study will add to the previous researches on the topic.
- Use clear transitions that will guide readers through your reasoning.
- Provide the support to your decision to focus on concentration and perseverance. State your initial hypotheses.
- Remember that headings and subheadings will help you to show the paper’s organization and will help the reader not to get lost in your research.
In the methodology part you should describe the experiment’s methods.
- Use the terms and acronyms of the discipline.
- In order to emphasize the experiment use the Passive Voice.
- If you want to emphasize the researchers use Active voice.
- Lay out the experiment step by step, with time transitions like “then” and “next.
- Show the attention to the control features.
In the part devoted to the results of the research you should summarize your findings, including problems encountered.
- Use references like “See Figure/Table 1” to send readers to the additional material contained in the paper.
- Don’t forget to use scientific language while reporting your results.
- Number all figures and illustration in the work in the order they are first mentioned in the text.
- You should restate your hypotheses and results and interpret the received results.
- If there are some unexpected results you can speculate in possible explanations.
In the conclusion you should summarize the outcomes of your research, stress the experiment’s value and importance, and anticipate further advances on the topic.
Reference is extremely important in the apa style essay. That’s why you should pay special attention to it and try to keep the rules of apa style reference. It is obligatory for all the works that were referred in the paper to appear on the reference page.