Content of this article
- Movie review writing guide
- Forrest Gump analysis (example)
- Review structure
- More examples
- Movie related essay samples
1. Movie Review Writing
A lot of people like movies and films. Videos add thrill and imaginations in our lives. This, therefore, makes us come to the conclusion that a movie is worth the review if it has been watched. Everyone has a different opinion on a movie. The ratings can range from being great to good or even bad. The primary purpose of movie review writing is to give the reader a rough idea of what the movie is about. The movie review greatly determines if an individual wants to watch the movie or not. The movie review writing should, therefore, be detailed so that it can assist the reader in making an honest decision. As much as the review is based on elaborating the movie review outline, it should not give away the plot of the movie or the surprises that make the movie enjoyable. A movie opinion needs to be stated clearly ranging from great to bad. Stars and scores can also be used to express thoughts quickly. A good writer should, therefore, have the basic knowledge of how to write a movie review.
- Great movie: Almost Christmas is a movie that has balanced all its features to make a great movie. All the characters fit their roles and make the plot come to life. The costumes and the soundtracks are a plus as they enhance the emotions and feelings of every story line. Almost Christmas is, therefore, a movie worth watching.
- Good movie: London has Fallen is an okay movie. The graphics were on point as well as the sound effects. The cast, however, I felt weren’t up to the task. The plot was difficult to comprehend, and the actors did not bring out the feel of the movie.
- Bad movie: No matter how much you watch Central Intelligence, you can’t get a hold of the movie. The stunts are overrated, and the storyline is off making the movie boring. The movie is a definite no.
2. Complete analysis (Forrest Gump)
- Plot analysis: the movie falls in the genre of modern fiction. Tom Hanks plays the role of Forrest Gump. He makes his way through history and survives all the hardships with decency and honesty.
- Soundtrack analysis: the soundtracks reflect the mood that was popular and these, in, turn, creates urgency. The songs are great hits and are appropriate to listen to children as well. The soundtracks illustrate the transitions of locations from the warm territories to hostile borders. For instance, the song by Fleetwood (go your way) illustrates how Forrest is joined by his friends in the journey.
- Atmosphere: the movie starts with the atmosphere of the beach party. Music is playing in the background, and people are enjoying barbecue and playing cards. The troops are also not left behind as they are seen loading crates of beers in their trucks. Later on in the movie, the troops go out on patrol and are far away from their bases that are safe. The atmosphere becomes tense and at the same time captivating.
- The main idea of the film: The main idea portrayed in Forrest Gump is that life is filled with surprises that are not known. This is substantially illustrated by Forrest Gump who is just a country boy with challenges in learning. Forrest, however, does not let this obstacle define him and goes to all lengths and achieves to be a relevant person in history.
- Actors play analysis: Tom Tanks fits the role perfectly as he manages to express the love for the country. He portrays the feelings of sadness and comedy at the same time. Gump, therefore, makes the movie interesting.
3. Review structure
The structure of a movie review follows the basic steps of the introduction, the body (analysis), the recommendation and the movie review conclusion. A movie review writing guide gives the writer instructions on how to write a movie review. The movie review structure is as follows.
3.1 The introduction
A movie review should open up with an introduction. The introduction is the most appealing way of how to start a movie review. The introduction contains the summary of the movie and opinion that was stated. Movie review writing hooks give the readers a general feel of what will be illustrated in the review. The introduction for a movie review has to be appealing so that the reader can get the feel of wanting to read more. Give a brief illustration of what will be discussed in the review and then proceed to the thesis. Ensure that the thesis is original and at the same time based on the analysis. The argument should go beyond the plot and straight to the film criticism. The thesis for a movie review should be compelling and reflect on a contemporary issue. Illustrate the message of the movie as well as how the film connects to an individual. The thesis paragraph can be followed up with a summary plot that is short. The section will also give a short overview of what will be contained in the body.
3.2 Body paragraphs (analysis)
The analysis covers the fails and accomplishments of the movie. The writer also gets the chance to express their feelings towards the movie. The cinematography, acting the setting and soundtrack can also be discussed in this section. Ensure that the writing is smooth and clear to comprehend. Facts and opinions should be presented at the same time for the review to seem realistic and professional. Use examples that are descriptive for the plot to come to life. Dialogues can be quoted to give the review life. You can add a few movie review tips such as giving the language a personality. The language should have a style that will reflect the unique perspective that will entertain the reader.
A movie review structure can also have a recommendation. The recommendation gives the writers a chance to commend the film and decide if it’s worth the money.
The conclusion for a movie review should be in a position to be tied up with the thesis. The conclusion should also offer guidance of whether to watch the film or not. There are a number of ways of how to end a movie review. However, the most effective style is to make it compelling and at the same time entertaining.
4. Polishing the review
The review is polished through editing. The final content should go hand in hand with the movie review draft. Fine tune the review to ensure it is in line with the thesis. Ensure that the content has enough examples to back up the claims. You can also proofread the review to eliminate any spelling mistakes and errors that can be avoided. Movie review writing needs to be precise and free of errors. Finally, share the review with friends and family and see if it has an impact on their opinions of the movie.