Classification Essay Structure Elements Writing Guide
- How to write an introduction
- How to write a thesis
- How to write a body pargraphs
- How to write a conclusion
Classification essay is used to organize certain examples that have some element of similarities into categories. It is important to bring together the examples in the right categories to make sense. As such, at the core of writing classification essays is the fact, that the author has to first make sure they sort out the things they are working with into useful categories. This is followed by making sure the categories are binding to a singular principle and there is also the element of giving examples for each of the categories. The general structure of writing classification essay is an introduction followed by the body paragraphs and the conclusion.
- Types of artists
- College majors
- American cultures
- Types of sports fans
- Vacation destinations
- Types of music
- Marijuana types
- Bicep exercises
- Study habits
- Dancing styles
- Video games
- Sales clerks
- Cancer types
- Music systems
- Television screen technologies
- Sustainable Lighting
- Mobile phone devices
Classification Essay Structure
In an example, a classification essay may involve detailing the different types of computers.
Writing an introduction
The first part of the classification essay is the introduction, where the author has to clearly identify what it is they are discussing.
- It is important at this stage to indicate to the readers if they have narrowed down to a specific group. It means, while the topic on computers is quite wide, the author may want to concentrate on the personal computers;
- This is an aspect that they should mention at the start to help the readers understand this trajectory;
- The writer should be keen to make sure they are able to provide the readers with some specific details which are descriptive;
- Details are crucial for creating interest in the readers; this is an important aspect as it helps the author to create the readership for the classification essay;
- If the introduction does not create the right level of interest, the readers are not likely to be interested in going further into the material;
- The final part of the introduction is the thesis statement;
- The thesis statement is used to briefly identify the approaches that are going to be used or the main categories which are going to be discussed in the paper.
Writing a thesis statement
- A good thesis statement stands out from a bad one in that is framed as an argument, making it a debatable statement;
- Make sure that it is clearly stated;
- Make sure that the statement is specific;
- The thesis statement should be placed at the end of the introduction;
- It should introduce a complete sentence, not a fragment.
Writing a body paragraphs
The next part of the structure is the body paragraphs.
- Every other paragraph should be started with a topic sentence, which is used to identify the approach or the category to be discussed;
- It is crucial to note that the classification is about organization, this means, even the ideas in the classification essay have to be organized in a logical manner;
- There should be some elements of order, easy for the readers to internalize and better understand the differences in the categories. For example, one may choose to organize their ideas from the most influential to the least influential;
- If the discussion is about computers, there is an element of order that further helps the readers to understand the topic in question;
- This can also be an organization which follows the element of familiarity;
- Ideally, the writer may choose to start with the most familiar attributes or things, this way the readers are not lost in the discussion;
- From the known, they will then develop an interest and better understand what comes next. In an example, the author may choose to start with the personal computers that are common in every other home, and then go on to gaming computers and tablets;
- This way the readers are able to connect with the rest of the categories. It is this level of organization that makes the classification essays organized and easy to follow;
- Between the different categories, there should be an element of cohesion and at the same time, comparison;
- While the categories denote differences, it is crucial to join the categories so they are a part of a larger analysis;
- Writing up on the categories on the differences they possess, the author should also have the knowhow to create some element of continuity;
- The transition between the paragraph is a way to create these connections;
- Using the right transition words in classification essay helps the readers to connect between the different ideas from one category to the next and form the bigger picture of the topic being discussed;
- While the topic sentence of every paragraph will introduce the category to be discussed in a particular paragraph, the second and third sentence will refer to the previous category;
- Ideally, this connects the paragraph that came before with what is currently being discussed;
- The rest of the sentences are then used to create the contrast between the categories.
Writing a conclusion
- The last part of writing classification essay is the conclusion which draws together all the approaches and types that have been used in the essay;
- The writer revisits the thesis statement at this point;
- The writer has the freedom of putting out the final comment on each of the categories or even mention the limitations of the essay relative to the approaches used;
- It is crucial at this stage for the author to emphasize the purpose of the classification essay;
- It is important that that the writer is able to reference their work, which relates, giving credit to the other writers in the field.
Example of conclusion:
There are quite a number of computers all of which have different purposes and unified in making the work easier. The main categories of computers include, supercomputers, mainframe computers, minicomputers and microcomputers.